21 jun 2008

*Meet the ICON*

+CLICK TO ENLARGE+


+CHECK FLIPPA'S BLOG+

Julia Frakes: For readers unfamiliar with your work, would you mind describing what you do a bit?
Filippa Berg: My job is being the fashion editor of a free Stockholm magazine called iCITY. But I do various things on the side, mostly styling. Sometimes I model, talk on the radio and I've been in some short movies. Recently I was the hostess of Go-See TV during Stockholm Fashion Week. I know some people in the industry here [in Sweden] and they often call me when they need help with different things and I'm glad to help out!

JF: What was your childhood like?
FB: Happy! I spent most of my time backpacking with my parents. We lived on beaches in Greece and took trains through Europe and the north of Africa. It was exciting. I didn't spend much time with other kids, though; I learned to play with myself. And I really didn't like school at all.

JF: Who is your favorite new Swedish designer?
FB: Personally I rarely buy new clothes, but really like what the designer Ann-Sofie Back is doing. She is truly an inventor!

JF: Why do you think the Swedes have such brilliant taste?
FB: Swedes -- especially in Stockholm -- are very anxious about trends. We travel a lot and read loads of fashion magazines. The funny thing is that most of us end up looking just the same; right now everyone looks like they're living on the Lower East Side! People dress up all of the time hoping to be seen by [streetstyle photographer] the Facehunter. I just dress my own way, and I've had the same style since high school. But it is true that we do have some really talented designers here. Sweden has a good climate for creative people: maybe it's because not so much happens here and people have time to concentrate on their work? Or perhaps it's since Sweden is such a small country.

JF: Who is your favorite historical figure?
FB: Andy Warhol! I have been fascinated with him since I was 13 and I've read all kinds of books about him. Right now I'm reading his diaries. Can't get enough!

JF: What makes you laugh uncontrollably?
FB: Champagne!

JF: Do you believe in luck?
FB: Yes. For me, luck is to be true to oneself; that's the only way to feel free.

JF: How would you describe your personal style?
FB: Psychedelic schoolgirl!

JF: What do you consider to be your greatest achievement thus far?
FB: That I believe in myself and have been learning by doing.

JF: What is your favorite fairy tale, and why?
FB: Michail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita, because it's full of beautiful imaginary images and wisdom.

JF: What are three of your favorite songs?
FB: "Positivly 4th Street" - Bob Dylan, "Gimme Shelter" - The Rolling Stones, "Oh Yoko!" - John Lennon


JF: What do you enjoy doing most in your spare time?
FB: Flea markets, parties and decorating my new home

JF: What is your favorite meal of the day?
FB: Any meal I don't have to cook myself. I'm completely lost in the kitchen. I mostly eat granola.

JF: If you could live anywhere, which would you choose?
FB: I haven't been there yet, but I think San Francisco would suit me.

JF: Who are your favorite photographers -- fashion or otherwise?
FB: Richard Avedon, Bob Richardson and Sara Moon

JF: Who are your heroes?
FB: John Lennon

+THANX PaperMag+